Monday, January 20, 2014

The New Year

Hello Friends
I know I am very late but a lot has happened over the past few months so I took some time off from blogging. I hope you had a wonderful Christmas and a blessed new year. 

This is one of the reasons I have not blogged in awhile.



My computer fell off the filing cabinet with the printer and cooling fan plugged into it. It is now a 10 pound paper weight. (Although I am typing this post on it)  


I have been keeping up with a few other blogs and social media while I was away from here. It seems there is a new trend or a new to me trend going around. Instead of a resolution people come up with one word to try and describe what they will try to accomplish over the next year. I have been asked if I would pick a word. I have thought and thought about it. I was undecided for a very long time. 

Could I pick a word? Could I live up to that word if I picked one? Would it be just like a resolution would I throw it aside before the month was out? Or say in my mind this is just too hard to do I just give up?

Well I have decided that I do want to pick a word. My word that I am going to strive for this year is:




Selflessness
is the state of being unselfish
Having, exhibiting, or motivated by no concern for oneself; unselfish
When a person cares enough to take a risk on their own gain to do, give or say some thing for another person. Without ever expecting a token in return for the deed, act, or accomplishment made from it.







So it is with that in mind that I have set off this year in my quilting endeavors to make more charity quilts this year than I have ever made. As you can see under the Guardian ad Liteum tab at the top of the page I have made very few. I plan to double that just this year. That is the goal I am setting for myself.

With that in mind I will show you what I have been working on.


Here is a strip quilt I start as well as some nine patch scrap blocks I put together the other day. If you follow me on Instagram you might have already seen this picture.


Here we are already to be pined together and quilted.


Making it up as I go along. Just quilting diagonal lines on the quilt that I put together in horizontal strips.





Here is my hexie project. I think I'm going to make a table runner out of it. I went back and cut more hexies to add to this bunch. 


I did a little redo of the walls in my sewing room. Now while I'm quilting I get to see the ocean. My mom painted this in 1983.  


Mittens says just take it easy and don't stress.


I hope you have been in your sewing room some. I know a lot of you have due to weather conditions. All I can say is I don't blame you.

Today I'm linking up with:

Design Wall Monday @ Patchwork Times
Anything Goes Monday @ Stitch by Stitch
Fabric Tuesday @ Quilt Story
Show and Tell Tuesday @ I Have to Say....
Work In Progress @ Freshly Pieced
Let's Bee Social @ Sew Fresh Quilts
Needle and Thread Thursday @ My Quilt Infatuation
Really Random Thursday @ Live a Colorful Life

Hugs and best stitches to you,



6 comments:

  1. I love your word you chose! that is a great one and along with your idea for the charity quilts :)
    your quilts are beautiful and I am loving your hexies, I still need to conquor hexies, I don't know why I haven't dove in making them since I love them so much!
    haven't had much time in my sewing room because our weather has been gorgeous here in AZ! 70's!
    thank you so much for your comment on my blog! I am going to start following you :) your blog is so pretty! love your verse at the top :) have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great word and love the colors in your strip quilt, beautiful. I love hexies, can't wait to see what becomes of yours. What size hexies are you using?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great word!!! I have been thinking about what mine would be and it changes...The one that really sticks out is Trust...

    Sorry about your computer. =(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your word and everything is so pretty. I like all your photos. You've been busy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice to meet you, Michelle! I am sew glad you linked up at the Let's Bee Social!
    Your word for 2014 is a great one to strive for. I have done a little charity quilting and have set up a page tab called "Quilts 4 a Cause" on my blog in case anyone's looking for suggestions here.... http://sewfreshquilts.blogspot.ca/p/blog-page_27.html Love all the little updates you have shared in this post. Your strip pieced quilt looks like a fun project to be working on! And I think mittens has found a lovely spot to laze. What a sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. the colors in your strip quilt are really pretty, and I love your word for the year. It's such a worthy goal! Happy 2014 and thanks for sharing at Needle and Thread Thursday!

    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you think. Just remember let's all play nice. ;)